Skip navigation

Information For Residents

Marriage by Authority of Certificate from a Civil Registrar or Marriage Officer

Dive boat at Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman Persons residing in the islands may make application for a marriage certificate to be issued by either a civil registrar or a minister of religion who is also a marriage officer. Marriage by a civil registrar does not involve a religious service -- though couples may later go through a religious service if they wish.

On or about the same date, both parties must give notice of intending marriage to the civil registrar of the district or districts in which they have resided for not less than 15 clear, successive days prior to the ceremony. If they live in the same district, a single notice is sufficient. If one of the parties is not residing in the Islands, a single notice by the other party will suffice.

Having satisfied him-/herself that the notice given conforms to the law, the registrar must display the notice of intended marriage in a conspicuous and accessible place for seven days. After this period, if no objection has been made, he or she may issue a marriage certificate, which must be produced to the marriage officer performing the ceremony.

For marriage by authority of a marriage officer's certificate, each person must give notice, on or about the same date, to the minister of his/her congregation, provided the minister has been appointed to be a marriage officer, or to any marriage officer in the district. A single notice will suffice if the couple belong to the same congregation or if one of the parties is living overseas.

The marriage officer(s) must publish the banns at a Sunday service at the parties' church or churches and display the notice of intended marriage on the church door(s) for seven days. If no objection to the marriage is made in this time, the marriage officer's certificate may be issued. The marriage must take place within three months of a certificate issued by a civil registrar or marriage officer. In the case of a marriage in which one of the parties is judged to be near death, a certificate of notice or banns are not necessary if the two parties are able to signify their consent in the presence of two witnesses.

Last Updated: 2006-01-16