- Agency: Legislative Drafting
- Reference: R0992018
- Posted: 08-May-2018
- Closing Date: 28-May-2018
- Salary: $72,240 - $97,176
- Job Description
CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
The Cayman Islands Government is currently inviting applications for the following post within the Legislative Drafting Department:
Legislative Counsel x 2
The Legislative Counsel posts will be responsible for the drafting of clear, unambiguous and relevant legislation, both primary and secondary. These roles will involve the analysis of all legislative policies, ensuring that they are translated, by way of legislative drafting, into legislation to enable Government to carry out its functions.
The Legislative Counsel will advise Ministries on the methods available to achieve their policies, Government Departments on statutory interpretation, and advise the Attorney General, other Official Members and Ministries on proposals for legislation.
- be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law in a Commonwealth jurisdiction;
- possess a diploma or Master of Laws in legislative drafting;
- be able to demonstrate an advanced level of the English language;
- have an ability to assimilate complex facts quickly; and
- be able to exercise sound judgement.
Applicants must have:
- at least five (5) years of post-graduate experience, four (4) of which must have been spent drafting legislation in a Government Department, Statutory Authority or other public body;
- a professional knowledge of statute law and legislative practices in the Cayman Islands, the UK and other jurisdictions; and
- a current general legal knowledge.
A detailed job description, information on benefits and a Government Application Form are available at:www.recruitment.gov.ky
Please submit your Government Application Form, together with any additional supporting documentation, to: Mark Harrison, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 244 2336. Email: Mark.Harrison@gov.ky
Deadline for receipt of applications: 28th May, 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.