Director of Prisons
- Agency: Prison Service
- Reference: R01522018
- Posted: 28-Jun-2018
- Closing Date: 20-Jul-2018
- Salary: $100,236 - $122,124
- Job Description
DIRECTOR OF PRISONS
The Ministry of Financial Services and Home Affairs is recruiting a highly detail-oriented and organised individual to join Her Majesty’s Cayman Islands Prison Service. The Director of Prisons is a strategic role and is critical to the ongoing success of the agency. The successful candidate’s primary responsibility is to provide strategic oversight and management of Her Majesty’s Cayman Islands Prison Service. If this interests you, keep reading.
Her Majesty’s Cayman Islands Prison Service is responsible for the detention and rehabilitation of a variety of offenders including remand and convicted male, female, adults, and juveniles.
AS DIRECTOR OF PRISONS, YOU WILL:
- Ensure that a safe, decent and secure environment is maintained for all prisoners and staff.
- Strategically plan and assess particular needs of the prisoner population and make changes to the regimes accordingly.
- Oversee the development of plans and strategies required to meet the institutional correctional operational goals and objectives; forecast human and material resource requirements and manage the budget.
- Direct and lead the development, implementation and monitoring of compliance with legislated regulations, prison policies, procedures and best practices.
- Monitor the success of current activities and to proactively seek ways to improve upon them based on revisions to standards and established best practices, legislations and research in the field of corrections and offender management and rehabilitation.
- Oversee the coordination and deployment of all prison staff to ensure safety and security in the facility, as well as driving the development of collaborative partnerships across the criminal justice system, other public bodies and private enterprises.
- Oversee the development implementation and compliance with rules, regulations, policies, procedures and legislation related to the delivery of correctional services, employee conduct, and interagency collaborations.
- Provide leadership and direction for all staff including performance management, training and development, coaching and mentoring for senior staff as required.
- Manage staff at all institutional levels, overseeing the HR Manager’s decisions regarding hiring, training, discipline, evaluation and dismissal of staff within the parameters of the delegated authority from the Chief Officer and the relevant legislation.
DO YOU HAVE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in criminology, penology or relevant correctional studies.
- A minimum of ten (10) years senior management experience working in a custodial environment with demonstrable successful outcomes, together with experience at a senior level in policy development and prison training.
- Ability to lead diverse teams, communicate effectively (persuading and influencing), and able to work within a participative and collaborative environment.
- Ability to multi-task and achieve deadlines ensuring a high level of efficiency, effectiveness, confidentiality, integrity and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the principles of management, organisation and administration, in addition to correctional facilities best practices, procedures, relevant laws and regulations.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Chief Human Resources Officer
Ministry of Financial Services and Home Affairs
133 Elgin Avenue
George Town, Grand Cayman
DEADLINE: 20th July 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.