Research Officer (Analytical Chemistry)
- Agency: Environmental Health
- Reference: R01592018
- Posted: 05-Jul-2018
- Closing Date: 20-Jul-2018
- Salary: CI$44,268 - CI$59,544
- Job Description
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
We are accepting applications from suitably qualified Caymanians for the position of:
RESEARCH OFFICER (ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY)
The Department of Environmental Health protects the public from environmental health related hazards, and is regulated by the Litter Law and the Public Health Law and Regulations. The post holder will be responsible for monitoring and controlling any environmental conditions which may adversely affect human health.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the response to emergency materials/waste spills
- Direct and implement monitoring programmes relating to environmental health
- Supervise landfill monitoring, sampling and analysis at the 3 DEH landfills
- Monitor hazardous waste storage facility
- Assist with the preparation of disaster/environmental disaster preparedness plans
- Respond to public complaints as needed
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
The successful applicant must have a BSc. in a scientific discipline such as Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry or Instrument Analysis with at least 3 years first-hand and field experience in a broad range of chemical analytical methodologies related to contaminant characterization and transport, water quality, industrial waste, and indoor and outdoor air quality.
- Knowledge and experience with Gas Chromatographs, UV-Visible and Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometers and other analytical instruments is desirable
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in spreadsheet, database and word-processing applications
- A certification in Hazardous Materials Handling (HAZMAT) or Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) would be an asset.
The required government application form must be completed in its entirety, incomplete forms or applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
PLEASE SUBMIT COMPLETED CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT APPLICATION FORM & RESUME TO:
Human Resource & Administrative Manager
Department of Environmental Health
P.O. Box 1820
Grand Cayman KY1-1109
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 20 July 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.