Witness Care Officer
- Agency: Office of Director of Public Prosecutions
- Reference: R01632018
- Posted: 09-Jul-2018
- Closing Date: 30-Jul-2018
- Salary: $49,428 - $66,480
- Job Description
The Cayman Islands Government is currently inviting applications for the following post within the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions:
WITNESS CARE OFFICER
As part of the Witness Care Unit, the Witness Care Officer will provide essential support services to both victims and witnesses of crime.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions, this is an essential role in helping to reduce the number of ineffective trials, enhance case efficiency, and improve the public confidence in the Criminal Justice System. The Witness Care Officer will conduct needs assessments of victims and witnesses, and ensure appropriate professional support is provided to them throughout the various stages of a criminal case. The role holder will ensure victims/witness are kept fully informed of cases (including trial dates), and will also support them during trials.
The Witness Care Officer will be responsible for the provision of administrative support within the Witness Care Unit/Justice Protection Administrative Centre, including issuing correspondence to victims and witnesses, maintenance of data/statistics, monitoring of cases and general clerical support.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Applicants for this position should have:
- a college or university level qualification, preferably in the area of criminal justice;
- a working knowledge of applicable criminal procedures and processes; and
- a minimum of three (3) years of experience undertaking administrative and secretarial duties (or other relevant equivalent experience involving the use of computers/office equipment); and
- experience of (or training in) a Human Services environment, such as Social Work; and
- experience of dealing with vulnerable and young victims/witnesses in a sensitive and mature manner; and
- decision making abilities, sensitivity, organization and listening skills; and
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Please submit your application form, cover letter and résumé/curriculum vitae to: Mark Harrison, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 1 345 244 2336. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for receipt of applications: Monday, 30th July, 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.