Statistician I (Social Statistics)
- Agency: Economics and Statistics Office
- Reference: R02712018
- Posted: 02-Oct-2018
- Closing Date: 30-Nov-2018
- Salary: $58,344 - $78,456
- Job Description
CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
MINISTRY OF FINANCE & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
invites applications for the following positions:
STATISTICIAN I (SOCIAL STATISTICS) ECONOMICS & STATISTICS OFFICE
The post holder will produce the Labour Force Survey (LFS) Reports, and assist in the production of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) Reports, the CPI Basket and Household Budget Surveys. A secondary purpose is to manage the development of gender statistics, supervise the collection of administrative data for the compilation of education, health and crime statistics, and provide technical assistance to government departments in developing their respective social statistics and in conducting household-based surveys as requested.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reviews and updates the LFS enumeratorsí manual twice a year, and prepares other training materials for the regular LFS training sessions;
- Coordinates the collection of administrative data for the population-level estimates, and reviews their quality for the compilation of labour force statistics;
- Reviews and applies methodologies for the detailed estimation of the total population and labour force estimates across all sub-population by nationality (Caymanian, Permanent Residents, non-Caymanian) and by sex;
- Regularly reviews and recommends changes as necessary in the LFS questionnaires, operational design and implementation of manuals, definitions and methodologies in accordance with the latest guidelines, concepts and definitions issued by the International Labour Organization.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- A Masterís degree in Statistics, Demography or Economics discipline and at least three (3) years ofexperience in statistical offices covering social data compilation and analysis including labour force, CPI and household surveys; OR a Bachelorís Degree in Statistics, Demography or Economics discipline and at least five (5) yearsí experience in statistical offices covering social data compilation and analysis including labour force, CPI and household surveys;
- Extensive experience in using statistical software such as SPSS, FoxPro, SAS or other statistical packages is is a must, Experience in Teleform and any CPI software are desirable;
- Must have practical knowledge of the labour force survey and consumer price index manuals of the International Labour Organisation, and the United Nations Classification of Consumption According to Purpose (COICOP);
- Ability to research new methodologies, assimilate and implement these at ESO given local constraints; assess technical issues and make decisions with minimum supervision;
- Must have excellent skills in report-writing and have confidence in making presentations on technical issues and survey results before local or regional bodies;
- Preferably with at least 2 years supervisory experience.
PLEASE SUBMIT GOVERNMENT APPLICATION FORM & RESUME TO:
Human Resources Manager
Ministry of Finance & Economic Development
3rd Floor, Government Administration Building
Grand Cayman, KY1-9000
For application forms and job descriptions please visit our website at www.recruitment.gov.ky
Deadline For Receipt Of Applications: 30th November 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.