Community Development Officer
- Agency: Children and Family Services
- Reference: VDCFS009/18
- Posted: 03-Dec-2018
- Closing Date: 18-Dec-2018
- Salary: $41,724 - $56,112
- Job Description
The Ministry is seeking to fill the following vacancy: Community Development Officer - Department of Children & Family Services
A Community Development Officer for the Cayman Islands is being sought, initially with primary focus for Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. The post holder will reside and work full time in Cayman Brac, however must have the flexibility to work in the other islands if the need arises. The purpose of the Community Development Officer post is to facilitate the development of networks at a grassroots level within the community in which the post holder works to address community-related issues, concerns or problems.
Principal accountabilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Identifying and assessing concerns, problems and/or issues at the community level, with input from persons and groups within that community;
- Assisting in the development of community projects and/or activities arising out of assessed community needs;
- Liaising with various community members and groups to facilitate a co-ordinated approach to the development and implementation of approved projects, programmes and activities at the community and national levels;
- Promoting and assisting where appropriate in the education of the community on relevant social issues, in order to develop community awareness and stimulate community programmes to meet identified needs; and
- Advocating on behalf of the community for necessary resources to assist in the various projects, programmes and/or activities to be undertaken.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
The successful applicant is required to possess a minimum of the following:
- Secondary education;
- Life skills/sports/community work/cultural activities/church youth group work for a minimum of two (2) years;
- Excellent knowledge of the community; people, resources within the community and the problems experienced by the community;
- Knowledge of the importance of social, cultural, recreational activities and crafts, in the development of individuals and communities;
- Good interpersonal, communication and organisational skills;
- Ability to assess groups and situations;
- Ability to be mobilise between districts and islands to fulfill the role as necessary; and
- Training in community work/counselling would be an asset, i.e. equivalent level training such as Principles and Practice of Social Work Course at the University of the West Indies (UWI) or equivalent
The successful applicant must have their own vehicle and a valid driverís license.
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER, APPLICATION FORM & RESUME TO:
Chief Human Resources Officer, Ministry of Community Affairs
For application form and job description, please visit www.recruitment.gov.ky
Application Deadline: 18th December, 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.