Assistant Professor - Social Sciences
- Agency: University College
- Reference: R0752019
- Posted: 05-Apr-2019
- Closing Date: 30-Apr-2019
- Salary: CI$58,540 - CI$78,737
The University College of the Cayman Islands (“UCCI”) invites applications for the position of:
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR—SOCIAL SCIENCES
UCCI is a growing intellectual community of leaders and trailblazers including 1,200 students and 70 full-time faculty and staff members representing 30 nationalities and a kaleidoscope of expertise and experiences
The University College of the Cayman Islands’ mission is to provide higher learning that contributes to the Cayman Islands and global societies by advancing knowledge and developing innovative graduates through its educational, cultural and social activities.
The position presents an opportunity to join an active, collegial faculty who are committed to creating a student–centered learning environment, in addition to engaging students beyond the classroom. The successful applicant would be required to teach a range of collegiate courses in the Social Sciences, including Political Science, International Relations, and Theories and Practices of Sociology.
Applicants for the position must have
- A Master’s degree or PhD (preferable) in Sociology or a closely related Social Sciences discipline including, but not limited to, Political Science, Government, Diasporic Studies, Anthropology, History, and Cultural Studies.
- Six (6) years prior experience teaching undergraduate Social Science courses and demonstrate a commitment to high quality teaching and departmental service.
- A high level of integrity in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Demonstrated outstanding teaching ability at the tertiary level and exhibit knowledge of planning, implementation, management and evaluation of educational courses/programmes.
- Be able to work with students from diverse backgrounds and varying academic abilities, including students having special needs, and to provide academic advice.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to collaborative and collegial processes.
- 2-year contract, pension, medical, annual leave
- Assistant Professor—CI$58,540—$78,737 (USD $71,390—$96,020) per annum, commensurate with qualification and experience
How to apply
(1) Submit a cover letter with description of experience relevant to the position,
(2) curriculum vitae, and
(3) a list of existing courses the candidate can teach and proposed new courses the candidate can develop (4) two (2) professional and two (2) character references
Interested persons should submit their applications on or before April 30, 2019 to: