- Agency: Department of Public Safety Communications
- Reference: R02972019
- Posted: 27-Sep-2019
- Closing Date: 15-Oct-2019
- Salary: CI$46,488 - CI$62,532
- Job Description
The Department of Public Safety Communications (DPSC) provides a 24/7/365 dispatch service and coordination centre to support emergency response in the Cayman Islands. DPSC is the link between all of the emergency entities on all three islands and provide life-saving, pre-arrival instruction to callers, to lessen the impact of an emergency; and to maintain the safety of first responders.
Telecommunicator I is a critical role within DPSC and monitors the quality and efficacy of the dispatch and coordination services during the most crucial times of an incident/emergency and are integral in keeping all parties involved calm and informed.
AS TELECOMMUNICATOR I, YOU WILL:
- Provide direction and instruction to junior staff; train all new staff and implement EMD Quality Assurance programme.
- Assess and evaluate junior staff and ensure that a professional and efficient response to all call for service is provided on a 24 hour basis.
- Maintain objectivity in the decision making process and act in a decisive manner, using good judgment.
- Coordinate communication between multiple units, agencies, and the sister islands, including aircraft responding to emergency medical incidents.
- Have the proven ability to read and discern visual images on a variety of media, including color-coded computer screens.
- Assist the Emergency Communications Supervisor in administrative project work.
- Use of a variety of computer software to carryout Electronic Monitoring, Video Surveillance/CCTV, and Dispatching of emergency services.
DO YOU HAVE?
- Associate’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years’ experience as a 9-1-1 Public Safety Dispatcher/ Telecommunicator or 5 years’ relevant experience as a 9-1-1 Public Safety Dispatcher/Telecommunicator or equivalent.
- APCO Public Safety Telecommunications I and Emergency Medical Dispatch; as well as valid First Aid & CPR and Fire Dispatch certification.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, with the ability to type at least 25 words per minute.
- Proven leadership qualities and the ability to motivate yourself and others you work with, producing your best work always.
- Excellent and perceptive listening skills with the ability to synthesis information from a variety of sound sources.
The following are required submissions for the post:
- COMPLETED CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
- COVER LETTER and RESUME
- COPIES OF RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS / QUALIFICATIONS
SUBMIT APPLICATION BY: 15th OCTOBER 2019
Chief Human Resources Officer
Ministry of Financial Services and Home Affairs
133 Elgin Avenue
George Town, Grand Cayman
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.