- Agency: Agriculture
- Reference: R03122019
- Posted: 09-Oct-2019
- Closing Date: 23-Oct-2019
- Salary: CI$66,876 - CI$89,940
- Job Description
Department of Agriculture
We seek an experienced individual to provide professional animal health care to a growing agriculture industry and to regulate the importation/exportation of all animals, animal products and foods of animal origin in order to protect the local fauna, as well as, the health and safety of the general public.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
Knowledge & Experience:
The post holder should have either a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent. Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of veterinary medicine and surgery, disease surveillance and control, veterinary public health, and regulatory medicine is a must. In addition, one (1) year internship at a recognised institution under the Supervision of a Qualified Veterinarian. Additional years of experience in a similar job position would be an asset.
- Ability to plan and conduct veterinary field, laboratory and abattoir services with minimal instruction and supervision
- Ability to properly supervise and train subordinate staff
- Must have and be able to maintain a valid Cayman Islands driverís license
- Good written, oral communication and time management skills are essential
- High degree of Computer literacy skills is required
- Registered or eligible for registration with the Cayman Islands Veterinary Board
Main duties and responsibilities
- Conduct good medical and surgical practices in providing best health care for livestock and horses.
- Supervise the import and export of animal and animal products : Carry out veterinary procedures to satisfy the import requirements of foreign countries; Review and assist with the development of guidelines and legislation governing the importation of animals and animal products
- Supervise Extension staff in improving animal husbandry practices on farms
- Assist in all aspects of animal legislation
- Assist in strategic planning for the agricultural sector
- Survey and investigate livestock and other animal diseases and implement appropriate control and preventative health programmes
- Assist with the execution of Animal Control and Animal Welfare Programmes.
- Supervise and train technical staff. Interview potential Veterinary internship/externship candidates and provide mentorship
- Develop and implement veterinary public health programmes, including zoonotic disease surveillance, ante mortem inspection of livestock prior to slaughter, and inspection of food of animal origin.
Please submit your application form and resume via email to: DOARecruitment@gov.ky or to:
Operational Human Resource & Information Manager
Department of Agriculture
#181 Lottery Rd
Grand Cayman, KY1-1106
Deadline for applications is: October 23 2019
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.