Crown Counsel (Criminal)
- Agency: Office of Director of Public Prosecutions
- Reference: DPP003
- Posted: 12-Feb-2020
- Closing Date: 02-Mar-2020
- Salary: CI$79,656 - CI$107,148
- Job Description
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Cayman Islands Government, is currently inviting applications for the following post(s):
CROWN COUNSEL (Criminal)
Crown Counsel (Criminal) will be responsible for conducting prosecutions and complex criminal litigation on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Operating at all levels of the Court system, including the Cayman Islands’ Court of Appeal, Counsel will also be required to advise law enforcement agencies and Government Departments/Statutory Authorities, and to undertake extradition and mutual legal assistance matters.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Applicants for this position should be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law qualified to practice in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction. Applicants must also:
- possess a minimum of five (5) years’ post qualification experience, including substantial criminal advocacy work, experience of processing mutual legal assistance requests, and experience of “white collar” criminal prosecution;
- be familiar with the laws and legal systems of England & Wales and other Commonwealth jurisdictions, and have a sound knowledge of criminal law, mutual legal assistance treaties, human rights and constitutional law, and laws of evidence, practice and procedure;
- possess strong advocacy, interpersonal, negotiation, research and analytical skills, and be able to assimilate instructions quickly;
- be able to render prompt and effective legal advice at very short notice.
The remuneration package for this role includes a non-contributory Government Pension Scheme and medical and dental coverage.
Please submit your Government Application Form, as well as a cover letter, résumé or curriculum vitae to: Mark Harrison, HR Manager, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 1 345 244 2336. Email: email@example.com
Please include the relevant reference number(s) on your application.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Monday, 2nd March, 2020.
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.