- Agency: Portfolio of Legal Affairs
- Reference: V003/18
- Posted: 31-Jan-2018
- Closing Date: 28-Feb-2018
- Salary: $128,292 - $148,788
- Job Description
The Cayman Islands Government is currently inviting applications for the following post:
The Solicitor General is the principal advocate for the Government of the Cayman Islands and will under the direction of the Attorney General represent the Government as lead Counsel in the Grand Court and Appellate Courts in both Constitutional and Civil proceedings. The Solicitor General will also be responsible for the strategic management and day-to-day operations of the Portfolio of Legal Affairs.
Key to this role will be the provision of high quality legal and policy advice to the Attorney General, Government Departments and statutory authorities and highly effective leadership of the Departments within the Portfolio - namely, the Solicitor General’s Office, the Legislative Drafting Department, the Law Reform Commission, the Cayman Islands Law School and the Financial Reporting Authority. The Solicitor General is responsible for personnel arrangements of the Portfolio’s staff and the effective and efficient management of the Portfolio’s budget. As Chief Officer, the Solicitor General is required to work with other Chief Officers to provide coordinated and integrated policy advice to Cabinet.
As a minimum, applicants should:
- be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law, qualified to practice in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction;
- have ten (10) years post-qualification experience, at least five (5) of which must have been at a senior management level - including the provision of visible leadership to a diverse team;
- have substantial experience in litigation in all major areas of law, including constitutional matters, and in all tiers of courts;
- be proficient as an advocate, with the ability to assimilate instructions quickly and to provide effective legal representation at short notice in urgent matters;
- possess a high degree of judgment, understanding, tact and diplomacy and be able to carry out the responsibilities of the position in a way that ensures the public confidence in the Administration is maintained;
- demonstrate an ability to effectively manage the vision and purpose of a diverse organisation;
- possess outstanding leadership qualities, including the ability to effectively motivate others, communicate at all levels, and confidently make key strategic and operational decisions;
- demonstrate an ability to operate effectively within a politically neutral environment, working with ethics, integrity and composure at all times.
A detailed job description, information on benefits and a Government Application Form are available at: www.recruitment.gov.kyPlease submit your Government Application Form, together with any additional supporting documentation, to:
Portfolio of the Civil Service
2nd Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue
P.O. Box 117, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000
Deadline for receipt of applications: 28th February 2018
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.