The open season for lobster catching begins on 1 December 2008 and runs until 28 February 2009. The Department of Environment is reminding the public of the need to comply with the following laws during the period:
- Only spiny lobster (P. argus) may be taken.
- The catch limit is three lobsters per person or six per boat per day, whichever is less.
- The minimum tail size of caught lobsters is six inches.
- Lobsters may not be taken from marine protected areas or while on SCUBA at anytime from Cayman Waters.
- Lobsters may not be taken in depths less than 20ft with the use of spearguns (which includes hook-sticks, pole spears, and other such impaling devices; and must be licensed by the Marine Conservation Board).
Violation of any of the marine park regulations and conservation laws attracts a maximum penalty of CI$500,000 and one year in prison. Upon conviction, any vessel and equipment used in obtaining the illegal catch may also be forfeited.
For further information contact: Prudence Barnes