Public's Cooperation Sought
Department of Environmental Health (DEH) officials are seeking the public's cooperation in ensuring smooth collection of commercial garbage over the Christmas season.
"We are asking persons to avoid parking in areas that prevent truck access to commercial bins as this disrupts collection," DEH Director Roydell Carter said.
He noted that there are times when trucks are unable to gain access to commercial bins as persons have parked in front of them, adding that this occurs both in shopping centres and apartment complexes.
In the meantime, the DEH advises of changes for both residential and commercial garbage collection schedule for the Christmas season as follows:
For all Cayman Islands residents
- All landfills in Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman will be closed to the public on Christmas Day. They will reopen on Boxing Day.
For George Town residents
- Garbage will not be collected on Christmas Day. Collection will resume on Tuesday, 29 December.
For Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
- Residential garbage will not be collected on Christmas Day. Collection will resume on Boxing Day.
For commercial collection, islands-wide
- Commercial collection will be suspended on Christmas Day. However, collection scheduled for Christmas Day will receive priority on Boxing Day.
- The landfill will close at 3:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and 5:00 p.m. on New Year's Eve. The public drop-off will remain open during these times. On New Year's Day, residential and commercial collection and landfill access remain unchanged.
For more information, contact the DEH solid waste unit on 949-8793.
The Director and the entire DEH staff would like to thank the public for their continued patience and wishes everyone a happy and safe holiday.