School Registration Deadline
Students enrolling in government schools for the first time for the 2010/2011 school year must register between 20th April and 20th July. Children who will be transferring to government schools, along with those who will be five years old before 31 January 2011, must also be registered.
Registration will take place at the Department of Education Services (DES), 130 Thomas Russell Way, and the Cayman Brac Teacher's Centre (CB/LC).
Parents may pick up registration forms at government schools; the Department of Education Services office; and the Cayman Brac Teacher's Centre. When the form has been completed, it must be returned to the DES offices above, with a copy of the following documents attached:
- The child's birth certificate
- The child's immunization card
- Documentation of child's residency category (i.e. birth certificate, passport, status letter/certificate, RS 101 form)
- Proof of address (mandatory) street name, house/apartment number, block number. Proof in the form of a utility bill (CUC or Water), lease or notarized letter from landlord if renting)
- The last school year's report (if the child is transferring from another school including private schools). In the case of transfer to John Gray High School or George Hicks Campus/Clifton Hunter High School a transcript from the last school should be included.
The Department of Education Services' registration, attendance and truancy services officers will check the form for completeness, check the required documentation and determine the designated catchment area for the primary- or secondary school assignment.
Following approval by the Learning Community Leader, the school secretary will then make an appointment for a medical examination with the public health nurse or advise the parents of the option to arrange for a medical examination by a private doctor.
Before a child is actually enrolled in school, the medical examination MUST be completed.
Remember: enrol EARLY to ensure that your child has a place in September. CHILDREN REGISTERING AFTER 20TH JULY CANNOT BE GURANTEED SPACE.
Only when the parent receives notification from the school can the parent be assured of placement in the assigned school for September.
Payment of Fees:
All non-Caymanian students must pay school fees at the following rates:
- Years 1-6: CI$250.00 per term or CI$ 750. 00 per annum
- Years 7-9: CI$300.00 per term or CI$ 900.00 per annum
- Years 10-12: CI$400.00 per term or CI$ 1,200.00 per annum
Payment sites are as follows:
- Cayman Brac residents - Cayman Brac Teachers Centre, CB/LC
- Grand Cayman residents - Department of Education Services, 130 Thomas Russell Way, GT, Room # 2
Catchment Areas for Government Schools
WEST BAY PRIMARY
North of Government House to Spanish Bay Reef to include all of West Bay.
GEORGE TOWN PRIMARY
South of Government House to Memorial Avenue, north along Walkers Road to Maple Road and East along Smith Road, North on Crew Road thought the new junction on Industrial Park Road and then east on Owen Roberts Drive, past the airport to North Sound.
RED BAY PRIMARY
Areas on the south side of Memorial Avenue along Walkers Road, and South Church Street to Maple Road. The south side of Smith Road including Windsor Park and Randyke Gardens; both sides of Crew Road - bordered by the Owen Roberts International Airport and South Sound Road, then East to Victory Avenue in Red Bay.
The east side of Spotts-Newlands Road to Beach Bay Road in Pedro including greater Pedro.
BODDEN TOWN PRIMARY
East of Beach Bay Road up to Breakers including Northward.
EAST END PRIMARY
East of the Frank Sound junction to include all of East End to Colliers.
NORTH SIDE PRIMARY
All of Frank Sound to Old Man Bay west to Cayman Kai
All areas from Prospect Drive eastward to the west side of Spotts-Newlands Road (to Include all of Prospect Park, Patrick Islands, Ocean Club, Mariners Cove, Cascades Drive and the west side of Spotts-Newlands Road).
JOHN GRAY HIGH SCHOOL
All areas to the western side of Spotts-Newlands
GEORGE HICKS/ CLIFTON HUNTER HIGH SCHOOL
All areas to the eastern side of Spotts-Newlands Road
Source: Department of Education Services.