Week of the Young Child
Pyjama parties, fun days and appreciation luncheons are just a few of the activities that will mark the Week of the Young Child, observed from 23 - 29 May.
Jointly planned by the Department of Education's Early Childhood Services, and the Cayman Islands Early Childhood Association, the week will commence with a thanksgiving church service at 4:00 p.m. Sunday, 23 May, at the All Nations United Pentecostal Church.
"The main purpose of the week is to raise the profile of young children, and remind everyone that the days of young children being 'seen, but not heard' are over," explained Head of Early Childhood Services Kate Marnoch.
"But more importantly, it's also about thanking their parents and teachers, and about having fun!"
Scheduled events are:
- Monday, 24 May:
- Conservation Day. Preschools across Grand Cayman will participate in various conservation activities.
- Camana Bay Pyjama Party. Recommended for children ages 8 and younger, this event will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Books & Books.
- Tuesday, 25 May: Teens to Tots. John Gray High School students will visit various preschools and read stories to the students.
- Wednesday, 26 May: Early Childhood Staff Appreciation Day. Set for 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Government House. His Excellency the Governor, Mr. Duncan Taylor, CBE, will host preschool staff at his residence for an evening of appreciation.
- Thursday, 27 May: Visit to Primary Schools. Preschoolers will visit government and private primary schools, for orientation to "big school."
- Friday, 28 May: Fun day, at all preschools.
- Saturday, 29 May: Early Childhood Association's 13th Anniversary Celebration. Tickets for this event, set for 9:00 a.m. to noon at the Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa, are $25 per person.
Week of the Young Child is an international celebration of children ages 8 years and younger. It has been celebrated in the Cayman Islands since 1997. For more information, contact Ms. Marnoch at 244-1815 or email@example.com.
For further information contact: Kenisha Morgan