Maritime Scholarship Opportunity
Published 6th January 2016, 1:45pm
Maritime Scholarship Opportunity.
Careers in maritime are not just for those who want a life at sea. Exciting and challenging careers are also to be had in the areas of naval architecture, marine engineering, marine survey, maritime administration and nautical studies.
For those in pursuit of a rewarding career in any of these areas, The Maritime Authority of the Cayman Islands (MACI) and the Ministry of Education, Employment and Gender Affairs have joined to offer a scholarship to dynamic individuals 18 years of age and older.
The scholarship covers under-graduate, post-graduate or professional qualifications in the above disciplines and consideration will also be given to applicants looking at specialist maritime legal services, human resource management, accounting, information technology and other areas which support the maritime sector. Deadline for the submission of applications is 31 January, 2016.
The following basic requirements are:
- * Proof of having been resident in the Cayman Islands for 5 years prior to application;
- * At least 18 years or older (this may be varied at the Education Council’s discretion in exceptional circumstances);
- * Proof of acceptance at a competitively ranked institution;
- * A genuine interest in the maritime industry;
- * Good interpersonal and communication skills, work ethic and character;
- * A commitment to contributing to the development of the local maritime industry through new skills and knowledge acquired; and
- * The personal qualities to benefit from the scholarship and use of it to succeed in the maritime industry.
As a small island nation, Cayman has a rich maritime history, particularly in boat building, seafaring, merchant marines and naval service. This culture continues through the 30 people currently employed at the Cayman Islands Shipping Registry headquarters in George Town, who perform functions such as vessel registration, crew compliance matters, maritime policy development, accounting, communications, human resources management, information and technology, surveying and naval architecture, and they often travel around the world to many of the world’s most exotic ports of call in the fulfilment of their duties.
Cayman has become the most prestigious flag state and is a world leader in the registration of super yachts, also catering to merchant ships, super tankers, container vessels and submarines. In a world where 90% of the world’s trade is done by ship and millions of tourists take cruises annually, there are endless opportunities for the further development of this industry in the Cayman Islands and Government has thrown its support behind its further development.
Be part of this exciting industry. Additional information on the scholarship can be downloaded at www.cishipping.com by emailing email@example.com, calling (345) 949-8831 or visiting the Cayman Islands Shipping Registry Facebook page.
For further information contact: Corporate Communications